What is AmeriCorps?The Grenada School District AmeriCorps Program engages men and women in tutoring K-8 at risk students as
well as providing services to the community while earning hours for the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award.
What’s the GSDAP mission?The Grenada School District AmeriCorps Program is dedicated to improving student academic achievement
through tutoring, reading events and participating in community service.
When is the Program?
- Next Program Start Date: September 1, 2022 – August 31, 2023
- 12 Month Commitment
What Do We Do?
- 29 AmeriCorps members tutor 1,015 K-8 students in reading and math within the Grenada Lower
- Elementary, Upper Elementary, and Middle Schools
- Participate in local and national days of service in the Grenada community
- Reinforce tutoring through reading initiatives at the local library
What are the Qualifications?Certifies that he/she is or has:
- a United States citizen, a national or a legal permanent resident,
- at least 18 years of age,
- a high school diploma or an equivalent GED certificate,
- passed the Sexual Predator Check, FBI Background Check, Mississippi Department of Public Safety Check,
- and Child Abuse Registry,
- met No Child Left Behind legislation by having completed at least 48 college hours, or passed the ACT Work
- Keys Exam in the math and reading sections,
- a desire to utilize the AmeriCorps Segal Education Award for college tuition or repayment of a student loan
- (if 55 or older, has the option to transfer to child, grandchild, or foster child),
- met all additional public school requirements.
What are the Benefits?
- Living Allowance ($16,502 = $1,375.16 monthly)
- Healthcare Insurance
- Childcare Assistance (If income eligible)
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award ($6,495) after receiving over 1700 service hours
- Student Loan Forbearance
- Student Loan Interest Payment
How Do I Apply?
- Visit my.americorps.gov to create an account, complete application and do Search Listing to apply.
- For more information about the GSDAP contact Gwen Woodson (662) 226-1606