Skip To Main Content

Grenada School District School Year 2024-2025

Public Release for Free and Reduced Price Meals 


June 14, 2024 — The Grenada School District is announcing its guidelines for providing free and reduced-price meals for children served under the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program.  

Meal applications will be sent to all households during registration, and /or during the student’s first week of school.  To apply, complete one application for all children in the household and submit to the school for processing.  Additional copies are available at the school office, cafeteria office, or at the school district office.  You may apply online at at any time.  Households may submit an application at any time during the school year. 

Children are eligible for free or reduced-price meals if their household income is less than or equal to the Income Eligibility Guidelines identified below, which will be used to determine eligibility for meal benefits.  These guidelines are effective July 1, 2024 through June 30, 2025.

Children need healthy meals to learn. The Grenada School District offers healthy meals every school day. Breakfast costs $1.25; lunch costs $2.50. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. Reduced price is $.30 for breakfast and $.40 for lunch. Below are some common questions and answers to help you with the application process.

  1. Who can get free or reduced priced meals? 
    • All children in households receiving benefits from MS SNAP, the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) or MS TANF, are eligible for free meals.
    • Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals. 
    • Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals.
    • Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals.
    • Children may receive free or reduced price meals if your household’s income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits on the chart to the right.
  2. How do I know if my children qualify as homeless, migrant, or runaway?
    Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call or email Tina Herrington, Grenada School District's homeless liaison.
  3. Do I need to fill out an application for each child?
    No. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: Grenada School Foodservice, 253 South Main St, Grenada, MS 38901 or send to your student’s homeroom teacher.
  4. Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are already approved for free meals?
    No, but please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, contact Grenada School Foodservice at 662-226-1606 or email immediately.
  5. Can I apply online?
    Yes! You are encouraged to complete an online application instead of a paper application if you are able. The online application has the same requirements and will ask you for the same information as the paper application. Visit this site to apply or to learn more about the online application process. Contact Grenada School Foodservice at 662-226-1606 or email Myra Tims if you have any questions about the online application.
  6. My child’s application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out a new one?
    Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year, through Sept. 17. You must send in a new application unless you were notified that your child is eligible for the new school year. If you do not send in a new application that is approved by the school or you have not been notified that your child is eligible for free meals, your child will be charged the full price for meals.
  7. I get WIC. Can my children receive free meals?  
    Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals.  Please send in an application.
  8. Will the information I give be checked?
    Yes. We may also ask you to send written proof of the household income you report. 
  9.  If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later?
    Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year.  For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.
  10.  What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application?
    You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Dr. David Daigneault, 253 S. Main St, Grenada, MS 38901 or call 662-226-1606.
  11.  May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?
    Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced price meals. 
  12.  What if my income is not always the same?
    List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1,000 per month.  If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes. If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.
  13. What if some household members have no income to report?
    Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, please write a 0 in the field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.
  14. We are in the military. Do we report our income differently?
    Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income. 

  15. What if there isn’t enough space on the application for my family?
    List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper, and attach it to your application. Contact Grenada School Foodservice, 253 South Main St., Grenada, MS 38901 or call 662-226-1606 to receive a second application.

  16. My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for?
    To find out how to apply for MS SNAP or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call MS hotline number. 

If you have other questions or need help, call 662-226-1606.

Myra Tims, Grenada School Foodservice Director

Non-Discrimination Statement: In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)  civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national  origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights  activity. 

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require  alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign  Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center  at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. 

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program  Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at: 3027.pdf, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must  contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action  in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil  rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

  • mail:
    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or

  • fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or

  • email:

    This institution is an equal opportunity provider.